John R. Prew graduated from Michigan State University, James Madison College in 1985. In 1988, he graduated from Detroit College of Law cum laude. In 1989, he graduated from the U.S. Marine Corps Basic School (honor graduate) and the Naval Justice School. Thereafter, he commenced service in the U.S. Marine Corps as a Judge Advocate serving as Review Officer, Prosecutor, Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, and Staff Judge Advocate obtaining the rank of Major. Commendations include the Navy Achievement Medal as a prosecutor. After leaving the service in 1992, Mr. Prew worked as an associate attorney at Bigler, Berry, Johnston, Stykiel and Hunt, P.C. until 1995. He next took employment at Dawson & Clark, P.C. where he worked until 2000, leaving to continue his career at Harvey Kruse, P.C.
As a specialist in complex national product liability cases, Mr. Prew as been admitted pro hac vice to handle cases in other states including West Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Kentucky, California, New Jersey and Wisconsin. Mr. Prew has defended diverse clients including automotive original equipment manufacturers, automotive component part suppliers, hunting equipment manufacturers, crane manufacturers, trucking companies and insurance companies.
Mr. Prew has been married to his wife, Jennifer, for 18 years and has one child. His hobbies have included snow/water skiing, bowling, softball, swimming, competitive weight lifting, martial arts, running (one marathon) and golf.
Areas of Practice
- Construction Liability
- Insurance Defense
- Product Liability
- Transportation Litigation
- Trial Practice
- Warranty Disputes
- Bachelor of Arts, Michigan State University/James Madison College
- Detroit College of Law
J.D., cum laude,1988
- U.S. Marine Corps Basic School
Honor Graduate, 1989
- Naval Justice School, 1989
- State Bar of Michigan (1988)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (1988)
- U.S. District Court Colorado (2004)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan, 2006
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois (2011)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (2007)
- U.S. Supreme Court (2011)
- Harvey Kruse, P.C. (2000—present)
- Dawson & Clark, P.C. (1995—2000)
- Bigler, Berry, Johnston, Sztykiel & Hunt, P.C. (1992—1995)
- U.S. Marine Corp. (1989—1992)
- Detroit College of Law, Law Review, 1986—1988
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
Honors & Awards
- Martindale Hubbell rating: A/V®
- Van Syckle v Ford Motor Company – defense verdict Wayne County, Michigan in a rear impact automobile negligence case.
- Smith v Ford Motor Company – defense verdict Wayne County, Michigan in a wrongful death product liability case.
- Williams v Ford Motor Company, 1997 WL 33350573 (Mich. App.1997), rev. 457 Mich. 888 (1998).
- Amanto v Summit Treestands, LLC and Dick’s Sporting Goods, Inc., – defense verdict in a tree stand product liability case.