William F. RivardBoard of Directors/Shareholder firstname.lastname@example.org PDF Download Download vCard
William F. Rivard graduated cum laude from Detroit College of Law, 1984, where he was a case note editor for the Detroit College of Law Review. Upon graduation, he worked for the Michigan Court of Appeals as a pre-hearing attorney in Grand Rapids, then a special research attorney, in Lansing, before beginning his career at Harvey Kruse, P.C., in March of 1987.
Bill has tried numerous cases to verdict in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Washtenaw County Circuit Courts and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. He has also briefed and argued a variety of cases in the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Before studying law, he received a Bachelor’s of Science in Forestry from Michigan State University and worked seasonally for the U.S. Forest Service in the Couer D’Alene National Forest.
He has been married to his wife, Debbie, for 33 years, has three adult children, and four grandchildren. Hobbies include physical fitness and enjoying the outdoors. He has completed six marathons and now serves annually as a volunteer in the Detroit Free Press International Marathon.
Areas of Practice
- Appellate Practice
- Insurance Defense
- No-Fault First Party Automobile Liability
- Toxic Tort
- Trial Practice
- Henry Ford Community College
- Michigan State University
- Detroit College of Law
J.D., cum laude, 1984
- State Bar of Michigan (1984)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan (1984)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (1986)
- Partner at Harvey Kruse, P.C. (1987—present)
- Special research attorney, Michigan Court of Appeals (1985—1987)
- Pre-hearing attorney, Michigan Court of Appeals (1984—1985)
Honors & Awards
- American Jurisprudence Book Award, Criminal Law (1981)
- American Jurisprudence Book Award, Administrative Law (1983)
- Dewitt Holbrook Award for academic scholarship, Detroit College of Law (1984)
Publications and Speeches
- “Synopsis of Michigan No-Fault Law,” Harvey Kruse, PC
- “Is There a Place for the Challenge of the Racially-Based Peremptory Challenge?” Detroit College of Law Review, 1984
- United Southern Assurance Company v Aetna, 189 Mich App 485 (1991)
- Portelli v IR Construction Products Co, 218 Mich App 591 (1996)
- Auto-Owners Insurance Company v Michigan Mutual Insurance Company, 223 Mich App 205 (1997)
- CG Automation v Key Plastics, 291 Mich App 333 (2011)